Acidophilus Bio Active
Acidophilus Bio Active from Provita Nutrition is a heat stable, high activity strain of acidophilus.
What are Probiotics?
Essential to the health of the intestinal tract, friendly bacteria exist in a delicate balance that can be easily overturned by improper diet; lifestyle factors; antibiotic use; yeast overgrowth; digestive disorders and more. Over 400 species of friendly bacteria populate the colon, some of which we know as acidophilus and bifidus. Supplementing with a good quality probiotic containing these and other strains helps to establish healthful intestinal flora and keep yeast and bacteria away.
The Importance of Probiotics:
- Assists in maintaining normal intestinal flora.
- Helpful for digestive disorders including IBS, Heartburn, Gas, etc.
- Replenishes intestinal flora following antibiotic therapy.
- Helpful for lactose intolerance.
- Enhances digestion and assists the synthesis of B vitamins.
- Helps inhibit and reduce Candida (yeast overgrowth).
- Prevents and treats yeast infections, thrush and athlete’s foot.
- Enhances nutrient absorption.
- Promotes immune function.
Healthy Intestinal Functions:
Some of the most important players in intestinal health are not part of our own body. Friendly intestinal bacteria, often called probiotics, are an essential part of digestion. They break down food particles, manufacture vitamins and prevent the infection of the tract with other microbes. Each bowel movement actually contains millions of these friendly bacteria; they are in a constant state of renewal. Many concerns like indigestion, gas, bloating and constipation can be due to an imbalance of the intestinal bacteria. It is easy to upset this balance by improper diet or taking medications like antibiotics.
Many foods that we eat, other substances we consume and our lifestyles contribute to intestinal disorders. Highly processed foods, alcohol, medications and tobacco are difficult for our body to break down and may also physically damage the digestive lining. Processed foods are also deficient in nutrients so not only does the body have to work extra hard to digest the food, but it also gets depleted of the things it needs to do its work. Water and fibre intake is important to have proper moisture and bulk in the stool and make bowel movements regular.
Stress, anxiety and other emotional concerns put our nervous system in an excited state. Our digestive processes are only fully functional when our nervous system is relaxed. Sedentary lifestyles decrease movement throughout the digestive tract. As our transit time slows there is more opportunity for the re-absorption of processed toxins and greater chance of microbial overgrowth. Slow transit time also dries the stool and makes it more difficult to pass. Our body is designed so that each time we eat a meal we have a bowel movement. Many individuals can be considered constipated and have bowel movements less than once daily. One can eat the most nutritious food but if the intestinal membrane is not in good working order the body will not be able to absorb the nutrients.
Bio Active Acidophilus Contains:
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus ……………………… 4 Billion
- Lactobacillus Rhamnosus ………………………500 Million
- Lactobacillus casei ……………………………….500 Million
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus …………………………. 600 Million
- Bifidobacterium longum ………………………..200 Million
- Apple pectin ………………………… 50 mg
- Inulin ……………………………… 200 mg
- FOS (Fructoligosaccharides) …………………….. 200 mg
- Non medical ingredients: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Gelatin
Provita Nutrition Acidophilus HIGHLIGHTS :
- Heat Stable Acidophilus.
- Helps maintain a healthy balance of intestinal flora.
- Promotes proper digestion.
- Cultured in organic apple pectin and vacuum freeze dried to maintain stability.
- Great for traveling.
Provita Nutrition Acidophilus DOSAGE :
- 1 to 2 capsules one half hour before each meal as an aid in re-establishing and reinforcing favorable intestinal flora.
- If you have nausea, fever, vomiting, bloody diarrhea or severe abdominal pain, consult a health care practitioner prior to use. If symptoms of digestive upset (e.g. diarrhea) occur, worsen, or persist beyond 3 days, discontinue use and consult a health care practitioner.
WARNING Provita Nutrition Acidophilus:
- If you have an immune-compromised condition (e.g. AIDS, lymphoma, patients undergoing long-term corticosteroid treatment), do not use this product.
– Di Stefano M et al 2004, Probiotics and Functional Abdominal Bloating, J Clin Gastroenterology, vol. 38, no.2, pp. S102-S103
– Nobaek S et al 2000, Alteration of intestinal microflora is associated with reduction in abdominal bloating and pain in patients with irritable bowel syndrome, Am J Gastroenterology, vol. 95, no.5, pp. 1231-1238.
– Gionchetti P et al 2000, Probiotics in infective diarrhoea and inflammatory bowel diseases, J Gastroentero Hepatology, vol. 15, pp. 489-493.
– Saggioro A 2004, Probiotics in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, J Clin Gastroenterology, vol. 38, no.2, pp. S104-S106.
– Borody T et al 2004, Bacteriotherapy using fecal flora: toying with human motions, J Clin Gastroenterology, vol. 38, no.6, pp. 475-483.
– Hamilton-Miller JMT 2004, Probiotics and prebiotics in the elderly, Postgrad Med J, vol. 80, no.946, pp. 447-451.
– Duggan C, Gannon J & Walker WA 2002, Protective nutrients and functional foods for the gastrointestinal tract, Am J Clin Nutr, vol. 75, pp. 789-808.
– Sullivan A & Nord CE 2005, Probiotics and gastrointestinal diseases, J Intern Med, vol. 257, pp.78-92.
– Heyman M 2000, Effect of Lactic Acid Bacteria on Diarrheal Diseases, J Am Coll Nutr, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 137S-146S.
– D’Souza AL et al 2002, Probiotics in prevention of antibiotic associated diarrhoea: meta- analysis, BMJ, vol. 324,pp.1361-1367.