Hawthorn (Crataegus species), as the main ingredient in Provita Nutrition & Health Hawthorn, has been used traditionally to treat heart disease as far back as the 1st century. Hawthorn berries were used to treat heart problems ranging from irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, chest pain, hardening of the arteries, and heart failure. There is research suggesting that it might be effective when used in the treatment of mild-to-moderate heart failure.
Some people use hawthorn for digestive system complaints such as indigestion, diarrhea, and stomach pain. It is also used to reduce anxiety, as a sedative, to increase urine output, and for menstrual problems.
It is also used to treat tapeworm and other intestinal infections.
Some people apply hawthorn to the skin for boils, sores, and ulcers. Hawthorn preparations are used as a wash for sores, itching, and frostbite.
You will find hawthorn among the ingredients in candied fruit slices, jam, jelly, and wine.
How does it work?
Helps improve the amount of blood pumped out of the heart during contractions, widen the blood vessels, and increase the transmission of nerve signals.
Hawthorn also seems to have blood pressure-lowering activity, according to early research. It seems to cause relaxing of the blood vessels farther from the heart. It seems that this effect is due to a component in hawthorn called proanthocyanidin.
Research suggests that it can lower cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL, or “bad cholesterol”), and triglycerides (fats in the blood). It seems to lower accumulation of fats in the liver and the aorta (the largest artery in the body, located near the heart). This fruit extract may lower cholesterol by increasing the excretion of bile, reducing the formation of cholesterol, and enhancing the receptors for LDLs. It also seems to have antioxidant activity.
- Capsules per bottle: 90
- Capsule shell: hard bovine gelatin.
- Dairy Free / Gluten Free / Soy Free
Each Capsule Contains:
- Hawthorn berry (Crataegus laevigata)……………………………500 mg
Non Medicinal Ingredients
- Microcrystalline cellulose, Magnesium stearate, Gelatin
Does not Contain
- Dairy, egg, gluten, soy, wheat, corn, yeast, nuts, artificial sweeteners, colours or flavours
- Adults: Take 2 capsules 1-3 times per da or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
- Use for a minimum of two months to see beneficial effects
- Consult a health care practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen.
- Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are taking cardiac glycosides such as digitalis/digoxin, or blood pressure medication.
- As with any natural health products, you should consult a healthcare practitioner on the use of this product.
- Do not use if seal is broken.
- Keep sealed, store in a cool, dry place and at 15 – 25 deg. Celsius.
- Keep out of reach of children.