5-htp is a precursor to the hormones serotonin and melatonin. Serotonin regulates mood, behaviour, appetite, dilation of blood vessels and many other body processes. Provita Nutrition 5-HTP has been favourably compared to tricyclic antidepressants and Prozac for its ability to alleviate depression. Serotonin is released in response to fullness and regulates appetite. Deficiency of serotonin can lead to overeating and obesity. This also accounts for the fact that when we are under stress our appetite tends to change.
Some people become deficient in serotonin and gain weight because they overeat. Others lose their appetite partly because their brain is reacting to high levels of serotonin released during the stressful time. Serotonin also decreases the diameter of blood vessels. This is helpful in headaches and migraines that are caused by increased blood flow in the brain.
Melatonin regulates the body’s sleep/wake cycles. Optimal levels of melatonin allow us to have restful and restorative sleep. Melatonin also cues the body to release growth hormone and sex hormones, which are used during sleep to repair body tissues and normalize hormone levels. Finally melatonin is an antioxidant that protects tissue by neutralizing damaging free radicals. The amount of melatonin produced by the body naturally declines as we age so supplementing with Provita Nutrition 5-HTP may be a means to prevent age-related disease. Provita Nutrition 5-HTP is recommended by natural health practitioners for insomnia, jet lag, headaches, migraines, obesity, fibromyalgia, stress, anxiety and depression. Provita Nutrition 5-HTP can be purchased in tablets or capsules. Taking your supplement with a high-carbohydrate food or drink, like juice, will increase its absorption.
Provita Nutrition 5-HTP Highlights:
- Improves mood
- Enhances serotonin, our happy hormone
- Reduces severity and duration of migraines
- Reduces PMS symptoms
- Aids restful sleep
- Reduces menopause stress
- Provides fibromyalgia relief
- Reduces panic attacks
- Aids weight management
Provita Nutrition 5-HTP Contains:
- L-5-Hydroxytriptophan………………………………….50 mg (Isolated from Griffonia simplicifolia seeds)
Non Medicinal Ingredients
- Microcrystalline cellulose, Magnesium stearate, Gelatin (bovine)
Provita Nutrition 5-HTP Does not Contain
- Dairy, egg, gluten, soy, wheat, corn, yeast, nuts, artificial sweeteners, colors or flavours.
Provita Nutrition 5-HTP Recommended Dosage:
- Adults: Take 1-2 capsules 3 times per day
- Take with food. Use for a minimum of 1 week to see beneficial effects.
- Consult a health care practitioner for use beyond one year.
Provita Nutrition 5-HTP Cautions:
- Consult your health care provider prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Enquire if symptoms persist or worsen or if you are taking carbidopa or drugs/supplements with serotonergic activity. These may include, but are not limited to, L-tryptophan, S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), St. John’s Wort, antidepressants, pain killers, over the counter cough and cold medication containing dextromethorphan, anti-nausea medication and anti-migraine medication.
- Discontinue use and consult a health care practitioner if you show signs of weakness, oral ulcers, or abdominal pain accompanied by severe muscle pain. Some people may experience drowsiness.
- Exercise caution if operating heavy machinery, driving a motor vehicle or involved in activities requiring mental alertness.
- Some people may experience diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
- As with any natural health products, you should consult a healthcare practitioner on the use of this product.
- Do not use if seal is broken.
- Keep sealed, store in a cool, dry place at 15 – 25 deg. Celsius.
- Keep out of reach of children.