Astaxanthin, dubbed the “king of the carotenoids” is red, and is responsible for turning salmon, crab, lobster and shrimp flesh pink. In the animal kingdom, this compound is found in the highest concentration in the muscles of salmon. Scientists theorize astaxanthin helps provide the endurance these remarkable animals need to swim upstream. For humans, astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant with broad health implications and unlike other antioxidants, such as beta carotene, zeaxanthin, vitamin E, C, D and selenium, astaxanthin never becomes pro-oxidant in the body.
Astaxanthin is in a class of its own when it comes to antioxidant coverage, because it filters into every cell of the body. Its unique molecular lipophilic and hydrophilic properties allow it to span the entire cell, with one end of the astaxanthin molecule protecting the fat-soluble part of the cell and one end protecting the water-soluble part of the cell. You might think of it as giving your cell a full-body hug!
Natural astaxanthin is exceptionally powerful in singlet-oxygen quenching. A 2007 study analyzed several popular antioxidants and their antioxidant power. This study found astaxanthin was 6,000 times stronger than vitamin C, 800 times stronger than CoQ10, 550 times stronger than green tea catechins and 75 times stronger than alpha lipoic acid.
- Eye problems such as age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Early research suggests that a combination of astaxanthin, lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin E, vitamin C, zinc, and copper taken daily for 12 months improves some problems in the center of the eye, but does not improve problems in the outer areas of the eye in people with age-related macular degeneration.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. Early research suggests that a combination product containing astaxanthin, lutein, beta-carotene, and vitamin E taken by mouth 3 times daily for 8 weeks does not reduce pain in people with carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Indigestion (dyspepsia). Early research shows that taking astaxanthin daily for 4 weeks does not reduce stomach pain, indigestion or the amount of bacteria (H. pylori) in the stomach that may cause stomach pain. However, taking this product daily does seem to reduce reflux symptoms.
- Muscle soreness caused by exercise. Early evidence suggests that taking a combination product containing astaxanthin, lutein and safflower oil daily for 3 weeks does not reduce muscle soreness or improve muscle performance 4 days after exercise compared to safflower oil by itself.
- High cholesterol. Early research suggests that taking Provita Nutrition Astaxanthin daily for 12 weeks reduces triglyceride levels and increases high-density lipoprotein (HDL or “good”) cholesterol in people with high cholesterol. Other research shows that taking a combination of astaxanthin, berberine, policosanol, red yeast rice, and folic acid for 4 weeks lowers total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL or “bad”) cholesterol, and triglyceride levels by 20% to 26% and increases HDL cholesterol by about 5%.
- Male infertility. Early research suggests that men taking this product daily for 3 months have increased fertility as measured by pregnancy rates.
- Menopausal symptoms. Early research suggests that taking Provita Nutrition Astaxanthin, vitamin D3, lycopene, and citrus bioflavonoids daily for 8 weeks reduces menopausal symptoms including hot flashes, joint pain, moodiness and bladder control.
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Early research suggest that taking Provita Nutrition Astaxanthin, 3 times daily for 8 weeks reduces pain and improves feelings of satisfaction in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Wrinkled skin. Early evidences suggests that taking this product twice daily for 6 weeks improves skin elasticity, fine lines and wrinkles in middle-aged women. It also seems to improve the moisture content in the skin.
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Improving recovery after stroke.
- Protecting against cancer.
- Reducing skin damage from ultraviolet (UV) light.
- Cardiovascular protection
- High blood pressure
- Irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Hardening of the arteries
Each Capsule Contains:
- Astaxanthin (Haematococcus pluvialis)……………………………15 mg
Non Medicinal Ingredients
- Microcrystalline cellulose, Magnesium stearate, hypromellose.
Does not Contain
- Dairy, egg, gluten, soy, wheat, corn, yeast, nuts, artificial sweeteners, colours or flavours.
- Adults: Take 1 capsule per day or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
- Consult your health care practitioner prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- As with any natural health products, you should consult a healthcare practitioner on the use of this product.
- Do not use if seal is broken.
- Keep sealed, store in a cool, dry place and at 15 – 25 deg. Celsius.
- Keep out of reach of children.