Nervine herbs, the primary component in Provita Nutrition Nervine, have been traditionally used as mild anxiolytics, anti-stress and anti depressant and sedatives. Nervine herbs are safe and non-addictive. One of the most used nervine herb is Eschscholzia californica, popularly known as California Poppy. California Poppy Monograph published by Health Canada refers to Eschscholzia californica as a natural ingredient used as a mild sedative and analgesic. A recent study carried out in France about nervine plants concluded that there is a complementary effect in the association of Eschscholzia californica with Crataegus laevigata (Hawthorn). It was found anxiety modifies cardiac rhythm which can be controlled by Hawthorn. Hawthorn is approved to be used traditionally as a cardiac herb.
Anxiety is a common ailment in our society. However, the drugs available to treat mild-to-moderate anxiety, particularly benzodiazepines, are problematic because they can cause injury, produce side-effects, and create dependence. Nervine herbs have been widely used historically to treat mild to moderate cases of anxiety, and these herbs appear to be very safe, nonaddictive but their properties as anxiolytics have been poorly researched.
The researchers concluded that the combination formula was an effective and safe alternative, symptomatic treatment for mild-to-moderate anxiety states in clinical practice. Interestingly, hawthorn is not typically considered a nervine. Instead, this herb is primarily viewed as a heart medicine and is fairly well-researched as such. However, many herbal practitioners have noted that hawthorn has a calming effect and that it can also help alleviate cardiac symptoms of anxiety such as palpitations and increased blood pressure. Unlike hawthorn, the lovely California poppy is primarily used as a nervine. The California and the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) are in the Papaveraceae family although only opium is narcotic. California poppy will not produce a high and helps to normalize psychologic function. This herb has mild analgesic effects and is a lighthearted calmer. Surprisingly, low-dose opium appears to have similar effects to California poppy, being described as an antidepressant and hypnotic in older herbals. Only at high doses or as purified heroin or morphine, does opium dull consciousness, cause euphoria, and induce sleep.
Provita Nutrition Nervine Contains:
- California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica)………………………100 mg
- (as 100 mg of 5:1 powder extract)
- Hawthorn berry………………………………………………………………100 mg
Non Medicinal Ingredients
- Microcrystalline cellulose, Magnesium stearate, Gelatin (capsule)
Provita Nutrition Nervine Does not Contain
- Dairy, egg, gluten, soy, wheat, corn, yeast, nuts, artificial sweeteners, colours or flavours.
Provita Nutrition Nervine Dosage:
- Adults: Take 2 capsules 1-2 times per day or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
Provita Nutrition Nervine Caution:
- Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Consult a health care practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen.
- Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are breastfeeding.
- Consumption with alcohol is not recommended.
- Consumption with other medications or natural health products with sedative and/or analgesic properties is not recommended.
- Consult a health care practitioner if sleeplessness persists continuously for more than 3 weeks (chronic insomnia).
- Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are taking cardiac glycosides such as digitalis/digoxin, or blood pressure medication.
- Some people may experience drowsiness.
- Exercise caution if operating heavy machinery, driving a motor vehicle or involved in activities requiring mental alertness.
- Do not use if seal is broken.
- Keep sealed, store in a cool, dry place and at 15 – 25 deg. Celsius.
- Keep out of reach of children.